Monday, December 29, 2008

La Navidad in Honduras 12/25/08

First let me start with the similarities between Christmas in Honduras and in the states. There was a lot of talk and excitement leading up to Christmas just like in the states. I went to the “mall” on Monday and it was fairly busy. I also walked the streets of downtown La Ceiba, where they have many street vendors and cheap shops, and I have to say that was absolutely crazy. I think it is always somewhat busy, but there were an excessive number of people and many were pushing and shoving with little concern for those around them. (Does this sound familiar to anyone?) Every house in the neighborhood has some sort of Christmas decorations and there are a lot of houses with lights. Every house I have been in to has a Christmas tree. All of the trees are obviously fake considering this isn’t exactly the climate for pine trees. Many of the gardens in my neighborhood have at least one poinsettia planted. Also, just like in the states, the radio is playing mostly Christmas music and on Christmas eve broadcasted the religious story of Christmas.

So, the similarities end, and there are many more differences that I have noted. The first thing I noticed on my arrival to La Ceiba was the decoration of the trees. Every tree I have seen is decorated with a theme or color scheme. I have not seen any homemade decorations or out of place ornaments on a tree. (As some of you may have figured, I love this.) Also, regarding the tree, I have yet to see a gift underneath (as of now; it is 1 pm Christmas day). In fact, I have not seen any gift wrapped objects. This is the most striking difference I have encountered. Another big difference between my traditional celebration and that in Honduras, is that the primary day is Christmas eve.

Last night, I attended a party at the home of the man who owns the spanish school. They had a traditional meal of potatoes, veggies and chicken with a bean dip appetizer. There was a little bit of Christmas music, but mostly dance music. As the night progressed, the number of fireworks increased. With a huge finale at midnight and then tapered off slowly until around 3 am. I am told there were also guns being fired into the air. I returned from my party around 11:30 (the rest of the students went to the disco), which was just in time to join the family that I live with for a midnight (post church service) dinner, which included chicken (soy meat for me), fried bananas, rice and yummy homemade yucca chips called casabe. (I am told that tamales are a traditional Christmas food, but neither party I attended had them.) One very strange thing for me, was that the family sat me and the father, at the head of the table and he and I ate off of china plates while the other women used small red plastic plates. He also offered me rum to drink, which of course I accepted, and he and I drank alone. Midnight fell in the middle of our dinner and the fireworks were so loud that they seemed to be going off in the house and we were unable to hold a conversation. After dinner, there was music and the couple that I live with danced. At this point, their 2 daughters (one 30 and the other about 27) left the room to attend to their cell phones and I felt awkward just watching them dance, so I retired to my room. At about 1:30 the doorbell rang and another family joined the party. There were many people in the street and the party continued until at least 4 am. These people seriously know how to party!

For me, Christmas morning began at 11 am when I woke up. The rest of the family slept until 12 or 1. Dunia, the house mother, was not feeling well and slept through the afternoon. This was a very uneventful day and I spent most of Christmas day studying my spanish. In the evening, I went to Humphry’s house and had dinner with him and Beth, one of his roommates who is volunteering for 2 weeks in a near by orphanage. Again, it was pleasant, but a fairly uneventful Christmas dinner. Overall, it was nice to be free of the gift centered american Christmas, but I missed many of the traditions and the company of my family.

No comments: