Monday, January 5, 2009

Ano Nuevo




First let me introduce the new characters (students) who arrived at the spanish school this week. First is 3 guys from San Francisco, Mike, Kevin and Ike. They are medical students from San Fran State and are here for 4 weeks during their winter break. Also arriving on Monday, was Paula, who is a woman from the states (not sure where). There is also an older man from Korea and another from San Francisco.

The first surprise for me here was the introduction of gifts this week. My house mother was wrapping small gifts all week and by the end there was a small collection under the tree. Christmas seems to have carried over this week and the radio and stores still played Christmas music most of the time. On New Years Eve, the women in the house spent all day preparing food again with the wonderful aroma of Casaba filling the air (mostly garlic, mmmm)

The school sponsored a party for all of us at the house next door to mine where one of the instructors, one student, Katerina from Denmark, and a past student and volunteer at the Jungle School, Christine from Kansas all live. They did a great job with tables and chairs set up in the yard, a cooler and a DJ. The house mother cooked a delicious meal of tomato salad, potatoes, rice and chicken. There were many people of various backgrounds and we all had a great time. Also at the party were Christine’s brother, his wife and their 2 small children. They arrived last week and have rented an apartment near by because they plan to stay in La Ceiba for several months to learn spanish and do some volunteering. They are even thinking of enrolling their 3 year old son in a bilingual pre-school. It is amazing how mobile and resourceful many of the people that I have met are.

At midnight, there were many fireworks, kisses and feliz nuevo ano wishes. The party continued well into the night, but I returned home to see what my family was doing in celebration. I was a little disappointed because I obviously missed the majority of the celebration. However, Dunia, Edgar and Marcela were winding down in the family room. I presented them with the small gifts that I had brought from home: a 2009 Chicago calendar, some Franco chocolates and a Ghirardelli bar. They seemed to enjoy the gifts and were very grateful. There were hugs, kisses and new year wishes all around. I retired to my room and watched a movie, but Marcela (who is my age) stayed up for several more hours and had about 6 friends join her at the house to celebrate. When I left my room briefly, I saw them sitting on the couches talking and drinking coffee (a little different than my typical celebration).

Right now, I am eating breakfast and watching the Rose Bowl parade with Edgar, which Dunia has put on the TV. I am planning to go to Humfrey’s house to watch football for the rest of the day. I can’t wait! The guys from Cali talked about joining us, but not sure how we will all get in touch.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Jenny, Your parent's Christmas letter led me here, but, you now have me hooked. What a great adventure! You are a great writer. These chapters are warming my Minnesota winter mornings, thanks.