Friday, May 29, 2009

Terremoto!

Terremoto=Earthquake. So, I finally felt my first earthquake! I woke up around 3 on Thursday morning to the violent shaking of my bed. Although I had never felt it before, my first thought was EARTHQUAKE. However, I looked at my roommate who was sleeping soundly and did a quick inventory of all of the things on the shelf above my head and concluded that I must have been dreaming. I quickly fell back asleep with little concern. I woke up later (4 am) when my roommate, Marta´s, phone rang. It was her mother calling, which in my sleepy stupor I thought was totally resonable since, given the time difference, it was the middle of the afternoon in Spain. After hanging up, Marta got on the internet and told me (in rapid spanish) that someone had died in San Pedro Sula due to a terremoto. I grunted as if I had a clue about what she was saying and then made a mental note (which I had no hope of remembering) to look up the word terremoto in the morning. Hours later, my alarm went of at its usual hour and I got up, got ready, had breakfast and went to work. Later that day, I recieved a text message asking if I was alright after the earthquake. I jumped up and ran across the school yard to the room of Candy, another volunteer, and questioned her about the quake. She told me that there had actually been an earthquake that was fairly stong and had done damage on the coast. I hadn´t been dreaming! I couldn´t believe that it had taken all morning for me to hear that information. Especially since the ranch is in its own small world and word travels very fast. So, the rest of the day was like a bad flashback to hurricane season in Florida. Nobody talked about anything but the earthquake and everyone speculated on whether or not there would be an aftershock or a tsunami. Fortunately neither occured and as far as I can tell, there was no damage in this area. The moral of the story: don´t live anywhere near me because natural disasters are sure to follow!

1 comment:

Josh Lindsey said...

So, maybe it's not as ironic as I think it is...but I have a friend named Marta who is from Spain also...weird!