Sunday, May 23, 2010

I'm Back

I know some of you have been waiting for this and have probably given up on me, but finally, I post the last blog of the most amazing year of my life.

Initially, I was afraid of what my reaction might be upon my return to the US and all of the life changes that go with that. I felt that I had learned a lot about myself, priorities and life in general while in Honduras. I felt different and it seemed impossible to go back to the life that I was living before.

With that said, I have returned to the exact life that I had before (same job, same apartment, same friends, etc)and I feel as though I never left. This has made the transition very easy, but has also been very disappointing. If I learned so much and gave so much of myself, why don't I feel different?

There have been moments when I realize that the way that we live is very extravagant and our priorities are sometimes very skewed. For example, I returned in the midst of the NCAA basketball tournament and everyone was so excited that life pretty much revolved around those games. At moments, I realized and looked down on this tradition, but after time, came to think that this is what makes living here so great. We have the luxury of foregoing the necessities of living to concentrate (and spend our money) on sports.

As I move around the city (walking, running, biking, car, bus, train), I am amazed at its cleanliness (in the relative sense), beauty and convenience. Every time I am out and about, I think that I would love to show just one of my girls from Honduras what it is like to live here. We are so lucky.

No comments: